The Emory women’s basketball team was able to have a very successful weekend, winning back-to-back away games against Brandeis University and New York University (NYU). Led by Head Coach Christy Thomaskutty, the team was able to finish the weekend with two wins and extends its win streak to seven. The team is now 18-2 and 8-1 in University Athletic Association (UAA) conference and is the No. 16 ranked team in the Country as they sit atop the UAA standings.

“We had a good weekend.” Thomaskutty said. “I thought overall our girls for the most part were prepared for anything that came their way and performed extremely well. Their were times when we let both teams get back into the game a little bit, and times throughout both games where we might have lost are focus, and we need to improve in that area, learning how to play a complete game. Overall though, I think the team played very well.”

The Eagles were able to win the first game, which was played Friday evening at Brandeis, by a score of 66-52. Emory’s success was buoyed by a hot start, as the team jumped out to a 31-18 lead at halftime behind eight first half points from junior guard Hannah Lilly, six first half points from senior Danielle Landry and a combined 39 percent shooting in the half.

The Eagles continued their dominance in the second half starting the half on a 17-9 run and leading by as much as 25 in the frame.

Junior guard Savannah Morgan, who started the game slow shooting one of six from the field and accounting for only two points, rebounded in the second half shooting five of six from the field and scoring 13 points to add to her team high 15 points on the game.

Brandeis dominated the boards, out-rebounding Emory 49-24, but the Eagles were able to make up for it with their defense. The team forced 24 Brandeis turnovers, 12 off Emory steals. Brandeis fell to 7-12 on the season and 1-7 in conference play.

The team racked up another victory Sunday afternoon on the road against NYU. Emory won by a score of 60-48. The Eagles were able to take a 10 point lead into halftime after closing the first half on a 15-7 run.

The team came out of the locker room with a spark, beginning the half by scoring the first nine points. Morgan, Landry and Jackson combined for 26 of the team’s 33 points in the second half, as the Eagles were able to build a lead as big as 17 points when they led 52-35 midway through the half. NYU was able to fight back and make the outcome of the game much closer.

They were able to close the gap to eight points after an 8-0 run, but a couple of free throws and a couple of baskets led to another 8-0 run for the team and allowed the Eagles to regain their dominant lead.

Lilly led the team in scoring with 14 points, while also registering seven rebounds and four assists.

She also managed to set a new school record by recording a three point field goal at least once in 25 straight games.

Senior forward Misha Jackson racked up her seventh double-double of the season and the 16th of her career, scoring 12 points and 10 rebounds.

The women’s basketball team will play its next game on Friday, Feb. 8, when the team takes on the No.11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis.

By Brian Chavkin

brian.chavkin@emory.edu