Emory will officially be running on Dunkin’.

Dunkin’ Donuts will be replacing Einstein Bros. Bagels in the Dobbs University Center (DUC) and is expected to open in mid to late June, according to Kenny Hemmer, the Food Service Administration interim executive director.

“It will be a full-service Dunkin’ Donuts,” Hemmer said. “There will be nothing different except the visual layout [of the area]. From a menu standpoint, there is nothing you can’t get at Dunkin’ Donuts that you won’t be able to get at Emory.”

Hemmer said renovations in the DUC will likely begin on May 15, the day following this year’s commencement. He added that Dunkin’ Donuts will be subcontracted under Sodexo, Emory’s food service provider.

The Einstein Bros. Bagels at the Goizueta Business School will remain open, Hemmer said.
Emory Dining decided on Dunkin’ Donuts to replace Einstein Bros. Bagels in the DUC because, according to Hemmer, “we realized that we need something that would be different than the cuisines we already have.”

Furthermore, Hemmer said, Dunkin’ Donuts is a brand that students are already familiar with and in addition to offering doughnuts and coffee, also serves smoothies and sandwiches, among other options.

“We looked at how we could refresh the DUC and are constantly looking at our student base,” Hemmer said. “So we made the determination that Dunkin’ Donuts would be a great brand for Emory.”

A poll of 220 Emory students found that as of noon Monday, 47.27 percent of respondents were in favor of having Dunkin’ Donuts replacing Einstein Bros. Bagels in the DUC while 40.91 percent were opposed. 11.82 percent of respondents said they were neutral.

College freshman Nelly Grigoryan said she is worried because “Dunkin’ Donuts seems less healthy and there’s [fewer] options.”

While College junior Blair Hunt said she is looking forward to Dunkin’ Donuts because she likes the store’s coffee, she is worried that she will be “tempted to get too many doughnuts.”
“If they’re there and easy to get, I won’t have much self-control,” she said. “Especially with the chocolate ones.”

However, College freshman Nicole Rawald noted that she is “in favor because I’m more familiar with Dunkin’ Donuts, and I love their hot chocolate.”

In order to bring Dunkin’ Donuts to campus, Dining officials reached out to the Dunkin’ Donuts’ national organization to see if Emory would be a location of interest.

According to Hemmer, he discussed with Dunkin’ Donuts nationals what opportunities the University and its students had to offer Dunkin’ Donuts.

“We also talked about what Dunkin’ can bring to the table and how that can satisfy the Emory community,” he said.

Features Editor Roshani Chokshi contributed reporting.

– Contact Jordan Friedman.

4/16/2012