As a part of routine updates of school facilities, the Dobbs University Center (DUC) will undergo minor renovations in the near future, including upgrades in furniture and technology.

The changes will likely take place before the end of the academic year.

According to Benjamin Perlman, the director of the DUC, the DUC will update the furniture in Coke Commons to be more in-tune with student needs.

Some of the other projects involve enhancing previous renovations such as the redeveloped Eagle’s Landing, renovated bathrooms on the first and second floors and the renovated TV and computer lounge.

Some students welcome the potential changes and expressed that the DUC could use a little improvement.

“I guess [the DUC] is pretty outdated and it could be more aesthetically pleasing,” College sophomore Lisa Fu said. “Also, the couches in the middle are uncomfortable.”

Perlman also stated that he was working with staff to upgrade some of the presentation televisions in the smaller meeting rooms.

He hopes to complete these changes while most students are off campus, and is setting the date for around winter break.

The University, in collaboration with a group of around 20 students, is looking to discuss more drastic improvements for the future.

They are still looking for student opinion on the matter, Perlman explained.

“I think that the floor in the middle of the DUC could use some work, the organization of the upstairs could be a lot better and fit many more people and the activity rooms are seldom clean,” College senior Alex Farley said.

College sophomore Andrew Chang agreed that the DUC’s furnishings left something to be desired.

“I guess some of the carpet in the sitting areas could be replaced since some of the panels are missing,” he said. Other than those details, he thinks the DUC is “pretty much okay.”

Cox Hall, which was recently internally renovated over the past summer, will not face any major changes for several years.

“Other than possibly refreshing the interior of the food court or some of the food concepts from time to time, there isn’t much else that can or will be done to Cox Hall,” said Kenny Hemmer, the interim executive director of the Food Service Administration.

– By Minah So