Life is governed by uncertainty, but alleviating this perpetual confusion gives one’s endeavors meaning. Of all the uncertainties that exist, there is but one that stands out so ostentatiously to those who are not blessed with the enlightenment of an American education: why are they called “midterms” when there are three of them and most of them are not actually in the middle of the term? Nevertheless, face these brand new foes, unveil the shaft of your sword of erudition and continuously thrust into the challenges put in your path.

Dear Doolino,

What courses do I sign up for next semester? I’m stuck between an upper-level finance class and a lower-level music class that is outside of my major. As an economics major, I guess finance could help me later, but I really miss music and I want to give my now-dusty trombone another chance. What do you recommend?
Yours truly,
Tromboner

Dear Tromboner,
Ah, the classic decision: do I do what I love or what I need? In my opinion, what develops an academic soul is not the rigor of classes but rather exploring different disciplines and gathering a transdisciplinary view on the world.

The greatest minds in history were interdisciplinary thinkers. Edwin Hubble, who established Hubble’s law, was originally a budding lawyer, an outstanding boxer and a linguist with a passing interest in physics. It is difficult to say if Hubble could have been as successful without his diverse perspective on the world. Claire S. Dooley, from Biology Department model to secret crime syndicate Shamanistic God Father at Oxford College, also embodies this diverse way of thinking.

Think long and hard about what you want to become of course, but at the end of the day, you need to have the balls to harden and expand, my dear Tromboner.

Yours sincerely,
Doolino

Dear Doolino,

Hi! I’m a freshman, and I signed up for Novemberfest this weekend. I really want to participate in Greek life. I’ve honestly dreamed about being in a sorority since I was in my mother’s womb. I want to make a good impression on the sisters, because this is something I care so much about, but I don’t even know what to expect or what I should talk about with the girls. My Pi Chis advised me to maintain an open mind and be myself, but how do I do that when all my friends won’t stop talking about recruitment and I’ve already spent hours stalking all of the sorority tumblrs? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Aspiring Srat Star

Dear Aspiring Srat Star,

The Pi Chi is the leader, the teacher and the friend. Pi Chis know what you should do; they know that you must seek the equilibrium between what you need and what you want. On the other hand, your (likely freshman) friends are comparatively idiotic. Would you really listen to someone who decided to forego dinner in order to go to Georgia Tech?

The gaggle of oversized handbags branded with Greek symbols may be appealing, but at the end of the day, you are more than three triangles on a tote. Have meaningful discussions with each of the sorority representatives and decide which house most closely represents who you are as a person.

You may be limited in terms of conversation without the five D’s (Donald, Dudes, Dranks, Deities, Dollars). Nevertheless, the generic “what are you studying?” question that should be a throwback to orientation never fails to break the ice. Don’t pretend to be overly interested (e.g., “OMG, my roommate is also pre-med!”), and if you can muster something other than where you’re from, you’re sure to stand out. Be your genuine self and just know that this event is more for you than it is for them.

Yours sincerely,
Doolino