Dear Doolina,

I’m a 19-year-old guy and have never been in a relationship, though not for lack of trying. 

I like to think I have a decent personality (I’m funny and nice) and am not bad looking, so I’m not really sure what gives. Any advice?

– Single and Ready to Mingle

Dear Single and Ready to Mingle,

You say you’re ready for a relationship, but do other people know that?

You seem like a nice guy – you’re funny, nice and clearly fairly intelligent since you decided to write to me for advice, so your personality isn’t the problem.

And unless you have either a really bad or boring personality, your looks really aren’t that big of a factor (I swear).

My guess is that while you know you’re interested in a relationship, the important people (read: potential partners) don’t.

So put yourself out there a little more, and don’t be afraid to step up on the flirting!

Let people know you’re really single and ready to mingle, and I’m confident that you’ll have more luck on this front.

Good luck!

Delightfully, Doolina

Dear Doolina,

I joined a club last year and spent a lot of time getting involved in it. Now I’ve gotten involved in other clubs and activities and am not sure if I have time for the first club anymore. I also don’t think I’m really getting much out of it anymore. What should I do?

– To quit or not to quit?

Dear To Quit or Not to Quit,

Don’t worry, this is a classic Emory problem. You should make decisions based off of what you think will be best for you in the present and future, not the past.

Even though you spent a lot of time getting involved in this club, that’s in the past and shouldn’t be a constraining factor to make you stay involved.

If you have already found other activities that you enjoy more and find more fulfilling, then stick with those!

Do what you think will be best for you in the long run.

Delightfully, Doolina

Dear Doolina,

I have a crush on my ex-boyfriend’s best friend. He’s cute and smart, but I’m worried that it will seem like I’m trying to spite my ex. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Confused

Dear Confused,

From what you’ve said, it doesn’t seem like you’re interested in the best friend to spite your ex. If you have a real crush on the best friend, then by all means pursue him!

Even if your ex thinks you’re doing it for the wrong reasons, you know you’re doing it for the right reasons, and that’s what matters.

Why are you so preoccupied with your ex? This is your love life, and your ex is clearly no longer involved!

Delightfully, Doolina

Dear Doolina,

I love my pet turtles, but my roommate keeps threatening to cook them. I told my RA but she just laughed at me. How can I protect my small, green friends?

Sincerely,

Turtle Lover

Dear Turtle Lover,

I’m going to have to agree with your RA on this one.

Master Splinter may also be able to shed some wisdom on this conundrum.

Delightfully, Doolina