Dear Doolina,
I’m a freshman and by the time my first enrollment time started, almost all of the classes I wanted were full. Everyone told me to use add/drop/swap, but that didn’t work either. Now I’m stuck in classes I don’t like for the semester, and I don’t know what to do. Any advice?

Sincerely,
Add/Drop/Flop

Dear Add/Drop/Flop,
First, I must commend you on your clever signature – bravo. For this semester, now that add/drop/swap is over, there’s really not much you can do except survive. Try to be open to your classes and don’t write them off immediately. You may find a new passion, you may not. Either way, you’ll suffer less if you go in with a positive, open attitude. There are definitely some tricks to navigating add/drop/swap, like checking at times you don’t think many other people will be checking. In general, creating lots of back-up schedules that account for many of your classes closing up will help you during your next sign-up. You can also try overloading by emailing the professor or attending class on the first day. I think there are ways add/drop/swap could be improved, like by extending the “drop” portion so that students get a better feel for their course load, outlawing quizzes when students can still enroll in classes so that they don’t fall behind and extending the date for when you can switch a graded class to a pass/fail option. Until then, though, I suggest you try to make the best of an unfortunate situation.

Delightfully,
Doolina

Dear Doolina,
I have a roommate problem, but it’s not because of my roommate: it’s his girlfriend. We roomed together last year and got along really well.  his year, he has a new girlfriend, and she’s causing some problems. She’s around all the time, and I never have the room alone, or even just the room alone with my roommate! I’ve never had any issues with my roommate before, so I don’t really know how to address this issue, but I’d like to have the room to myself at least sometimes. I also want some time to hang out with my roommate without his girlfriend around.

Sincerely,
Double Turned Triple

Dear Double Turned Triple,       
You’re right, you do have a problem on your hands. But your problem isn’t with the girlfriend, it’s with your roommate. You need to set some ground rules with your roommate so he knows what is and is not acceptable to you. It’s his responsibility to make sure that he and his girlfriend live up to the agreed upon expectations. For instance, you could agree that the girlfriend cannot stay over on weekdays.  You could also suggest that whenever you need to do work or simply need some alone time, you try to give them as much notice as possible but ask them to respect your need for privacy. Have you tried asking your roommate if he wants to have a guys’ night? That might do the trick. If not, be open about wanting to hang out with just the two of you, and I’m sure he’ll be receptive.
You can have a mature conversation and get more time to yourself, but you need to be brave enough to bring up the issue. It’s up to you now.

Delightfully,
Doolina

Dear Doolina,
I posted a picture of guacamole to Instagram, but it’s only gotten three likes. What does this say about the future of Emory students who don’t even have a basic appreciation for guacamole?

Signed,
All Alone Eating My Guac’

Dear All Alone,
I think this says more about your worrisome need for validation than anything else. I do agree, however, that unlike you, guacamole does not receive the praise it undoubtedly deserves.
Delightfully,

Doolina