I was taken aback when I saw College junior Nick Bradley’s editorial response to College junior Priyanka Krishnamurthy’s article, “Cliques Should be Cancelled.” I understand that no one wants to be called a “hard-drinking, woman-objectifying, heteronormative bro-dude,” as Bradley words it.

However, I can’t help but find it problematic that Bradley takes Krishnamurthy’s indignation toward the misogynistic Total Frat Move (TFM) article entitled “50 Ways to be the Perfect College Girlfriend,” as a personal attack. In becoming defensive about one’s own position within a fraternity, the individual, by extension, neglects the existing institutional problems that still prevail within Greek life.

Bradley specifically criticizes Krishnamurthy for failing to see that the TFM article is satire. I agree that Krishnamurthy may be incorrect in framing the article as being completely serious.

However, whether it is meant to be satire or not is irrelevant. The intention behind the article is beside the point if its effects reinforce existing sexist and oppressive structures.

In the TFM statements such as “we hate condoms, and everyone hates abortions. You’re a grown up now, it’s time to get on the pill” and “Eventually we’re going to ask you for a threesome. Either accept or divert our attention with a bl-wjob. No tantrum necessary,” there is an inherent obsession with female subjugation. The author attempts to remove the female’s bodily autonomy in dictating that she should get on the pill for his own sexual pleasure despite what she wants for herself; he sexually objectifies her. Further, he attempts to silence women if they oppose his desire for a threesome, insinuating that her saying “no” is simply a mere tantrum as opposed to something to be taken seriously.

Comments in response to the article include, “I can do my whole list in three: 1. Cook 2. Clean 3. Put out” and “Be open-minded. (To the idea of anal.)”

These responses depict more than just the article’s perpetuation of negative fraternity brother stereotypes; those who are legitimately misogynistic will feel righteous when they see a popular site such as TFM affirming these problematic notions. If these sentiments are in fact meant to be satire, they’re making light of serious issues and points of view that still exist within Greek life and today’s society as a whole. These statements are akin to rape jokes.

I definitely don’t believe that all fraternity brothers are sexual predators or misogynists. In fact, I think many of them are innovative people with skills for great leadership and companionship. As he states in his article, Bradley and his fraternity brothers have taken the initiative to get SAPA-trained and become educated in sexual assault awareness. This is definitely a positive step towards dissolving some of these implicit institutional problems.

However, one cannot neglect that the institution of Greek life is still extremely problematic. (I would like to make clear that I mean the institution and not the individual members themselves). Parties on campus entitled “Ninjas and Sluts,” and “The Playboy Mansion” reveal an implicit sexism within Emory’s Greek life community.

I found it disconcerting that at the handful of fraternity parties I have attended members have turned away my male friends but have granted me access. Door people have let me into parties because they “like my low-cut shirt,” and I have seen fraternity members turn away males because they don’t have enough girls with them. Needless to say, Emory has a long way to go in establishing an equal and safe environment where fraternity houses treat women respectfully and do not use them as bait.

Fraternity members like Bradley should direct their anger toward the TFM article that perpetuates the negative fraternity stereotypes, not the people who react negatively to the article like Krishnamurthy.

Additionally, fraternity members should direct their anger at any oppressive issues that still exist in Greek life. As fraternity participants, members hold a unique stance where they have the power to internally change an institution and overcome these pressing issues.

I am sure that if we (non-Greek and Greek students) work together we can deconstruct these institutional problems. After all, change starts with a discussion.

Alexa Cucopulos is a College sophomore from Franklin Lakes, N.J.