The golf team has seen a lot of action this month, competing in two tournaments in the last two weeks. Their play began when the team finished fourth out of 15 teams in the Oglethorpe Invitational on Oct. 8 and 9.

The tournament was a 36-hole event, which was played at the Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club, a par 71 which measures 6,848 yards.

The Eagles finished with a combined score of 600, 18 shots behind first-place Oglethorpe University.

“We got off to a slow start on Monday, and Monday’s round wasn’t very good,” Head Coach John Sjoberg said. “Tuesday we bounced back nicely with a 297.”

Juniors Johnathan Chen and Will Roth were the top performers for Emory, both finishing in a tie for ninth with a combined score of 147. Chen played well the first day, shooting an even par 71, but had some trouble on day two, shooting a five over 76.

“I personally had a good start, but struggled early on the front nine the second day,” Chen said.

Roth began the first day with a four over 75, and concluded the tournament on the second day by shooting a one over 72, which was tied for the best score on the team.

“It was a very good tournament for Will Roth, who had his first top 10 finish,” Sjoberg said.

Junior Alec Berens played as an individual and shot a combined score of 152.

The team then travelled to Destin, Fla. for the Golfweek D-III Fall Preview. The tournament was a 54-hole event, played at the Raven Golf Course, which is a par 71 measuring 6,793 yards. The Eagles finished in 13th place with a combined score of 907, falling short of St. Johns (Minn.) who finished in first.

“We did not drive the ball very well as a team, which led to some big numbers each day,” Sjoberg said.

Chen and Roth were again the top performers for the Eagles. Chen shot a one under 70 on the third day to place him at a score of 217, good for a tie for ninth. Roth was able to shoot a combined score of 230, which was good for a tie for 54th.

“Hopefully the guys will realize we have a lot of work to do, and that will lead to a great off-season and we will be ready to go this spring,” Sjoberg said.

By Brian Chavkin