Hello and welcome back! It has been a little over two years since I wrote my first ever column for The Emory Wheel, and it has been an absolutely rewarding experience ever since. Despite my misconception in the beginning that my only readers were my friends looking to make a quick joke, I have been pleasantly surprised about how much I have talked to readers about my sports picks and other columns. If anyone likes sports or writing or both, I cannot recommend doing this more.

Now, after that unintentional plug for the Wheel, it’s time for the good stuff: The National Football League (NFL)! Although there are many variations for what the NFL truly stands for, one acronym that can be completely discounted is the “No Felons League.” As player after player has gotten caught with some sort of crime, it becomes more and more apparent that the NFL has a problem.

However, teams have proven that time and time again talent outweighs trouble, and these troubled athletes have continued receiving multimillion dollar contracts. I could sit here and write an entire book about each individual case, and how I feel their team and the league has successfully botched the situation like only Tony Romo could.

But at the end of the day, the one man with police power has abused it, and should be immediately stripped of said power. Roger Goodell must go. It isn’t just the Ray Rice scandal. It isn’t just the recent scandals of Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon or Ray McDonald. That would be like saying the “Mona Lisa” is perfection due to the detail of her curls, or the subtlety of the river flowing in the background.

No, the “Mona Lisa,” like Goodell’s tainted resume, is a complete and overall piece of artwork. He tried to push the 18-game schedule on the league. He has established an arbitrary punishment system that, quite frankly, no one understands. He has not advanced the sport in terms of player safety either.

Goodell has been nothing but horrible for the NFL, and as the National Basketball Association and European soccer grow in fandom, the NFL looks to be putting themselves in a precarious position.

I love the NFL, and unfortunately, these recent scandals cannot keep me from watching it. But, if Goodell and the league continue down this pathway, I can say with certainty that fans will start to question their devotion. And that’s when there will be a problem.

Mr. Goodell, thanks for your time, but you’ve done more than enough. It’s time to go.

And with that, onto the featured picks!

San Diego Chargers at Buffalo Bills

Both teams are coming off of huge victories (in Buffalo’s case, two big victories, considering they are Buffalo). Buffalo has benefited from a very solid running attack coming from CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. However, San Diego just shut down Marshawn Lynch, Percy Harvin and the Seattle offense. The biggest factor at play is the time-zone effect. ColdHardFootballFacts.com has a comprehensive study showing, among other fascinating statistics, that West Coast teams playing at 1 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (10 a.m. Pacific Standard Time) had only a .268 winning percentage from 2007 to 2011. While it has been four years since that data was collected, I believe that this effect still applies, even if it may not be as drastic as in the past. I do not think the Bills are a real contender this season. But I can see them taking advantage of the schedule and a worn out Chargers squad after a physical victory against the Seahawks. Take the Bills. Buffalo 24, San Diego 17.

Green Bay Packers at Detroit Lions

An interesting caveat to this matchup is that these division rivals play again in week 17, meaning that clash could potentially shift the playoff picture completely. Thus, I believe both teams understand how vital it is to grab this early season division victory. You can certainly expect a lot of fireworks via the passing game, despite both teams putting up decent numbers thus far in the passing-offense-allowed department. The Packers didn’t show up this season until the second half of the Jets game in week two, and even then were a “Classic Jets” moment away from a potential overtime game. I’d also like to take this time to tell Marty Mornhinweg that 75 percent of my tears this weekend can be attributed to him. Meanwhile, the combination of Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson came out in week one like they were going to rewrite the record books, but things cooled off against the stout Carolina Panthers defense. As I try to scrutinize this matchup by the numbers, I cannot decide who I think will come out ahead. But, because the Lions are at home, and are coming off of a disappointing performance, I’m going to have to go with them. Hey, I never said this was a science. I just said that the Beej knows best. Detroit 34, Green Bay 30.

Denver Broncos at Seattle Seahawks

The game of the week by any calculation, the Super Bowl rematch, certainly has the potential to keep me interested for longer than the actual Super Bowl did. Peyton and the boys have been putting up video game numbers on offense, and that’s without Eric Decker (now playing for the Jets) and Wes Welker (partying his face off). According to multiple reports, Welker’s suspension will be over as per the NFL’s new drug-policy proposal. This adds even another dimension to their aerial attack, while also opening up the ground game for Montee Ball to wreak havoc. The Seahawks, despite their upset loss to San Diego, have looked solid on defense and diversified in their attack on offense. They certainly are poised to make another deep run into the playoffs. Alas, there are four things you can proverbially and literally bet the house on. One is death. Two is taxes. Three is Roger Goodell continuing to screw up everything until he is fired and/or exiled. And finally, four is Peyton Manning remembering how embarrassing the Super Bowl was, and ultimately earning his revenge. Disclaimer: Don’t actually bet your house. Although you could. But seriously, don’t. Denver 27, Seattle 16.

– Contact Jayson Patel