On Wednesday, April 6, Emory’s baseball team (23-7) hosted Birmingham-Southern College (23-7) (Ala.). Birmingham-Southern entered the game as the No. 6 team, while Emory entered as the No. 5 team in Division III. Emory managed to defeat the visitors 8-3 to move their record to 24-7 on the year.

Freshman pitcher Billy Dimlow got the start for the Eagles and threw seven shutout innings on his way to his sixth win of the season (6-0). Dimlow allowed five hits, walked one and struck out three. Sophomore pitcher Danny Kerning relieved Dimlow in the eighth and threw a quick one-two-three inning. Sophomore Mack Wilkins came into the game in the ninth and struggled, allowing three runs and only retiring a single Panther. Then the team turned the ball over to junior Kyle Monk, who managed to get the final two outs and end the game.

Emory won the game thanks to a strong team performance at the plate. The Eagles had four players record multi-hit games: senior second baseman Dylan Eisner (two), junior third baseman Philip Maldari (two), senior right fielder Chris Slivka (two) and sophomore catcher Mitch Kerner (two). In addition, four Emory players drove in all eight of the team’s runs: Eisner (two), Maldari (two), Slivka (two) and senior first baseman Ben Vizvary. The team did a good job of making Birmingham-Southern’s pitchers work, drawing nine walks over the course of the game. Junior left fielder Wilson Morgan led way with a team-leading three walks. On top of that, Maldari, Morgan, Eisner and sophomore shortstop Nick Chambers all stole bases.
Emory will take the field Saturday, April 9 when they take on North Carolina Wesleyan College (22-13).

Special Projects Editor | Jacob Durst is a Goizueta Business School junior from Dallas, Texas double majoring in business and political science. He has been a big sports fan as long as he can remember, and his teams are the Houston Rockets, Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys. He also wants to throw out there that Sports is the best section.